Saturday, November 3, 2012

The Diary: Chronicles of Neill

So I have been busy on my novel and on the first day of NaNoWriMo I managed to write 1,772 words therefore beating the daily mark by 105 words. Sadly enough on the second day I only wrote 1,271 words and that's way below the mark, hopefully I'll recover that within today and tomorrow.

Anyway today I am not here to write about the NaNoWriMo, I want to talk a bit about my book; The Diary Chronicles of Neill. This is my first novel that maybe some have heard about and even the lucky ones have managed to have a glimpse of it and read a little bit of it. I am currently writing it and like I said in the previous post, I am hopeful that by early next year, I shall have finished it.

The Diary: Chronicles of Neill is a book developed from the path that I have lived, the life that I have seen from my very own eyes but basically it is a young adult mainstream fiction; meaning, everything in it is somehow influenced by factual events but presented fictionally to capture the conscience of the reader to understand it well and feel like he/she can relate to it. It narrates the life of the protagonist, Neill Kynberg, his transformation from a troublesome background to living the fame in high school, death of the parents and the post-trauma life. It is somehow like a fictional memoir of Neill Kynberg.

The setting of the book is a fictional town in South Carolina, presented in real life with Charleston. I know the question is why Charleston, South Carolina? Well when I was researching about the best place I can choose as setting, I was looking for factors like; it must be a town close to an ocean, a town with history, a humble town that is somehow country but at the same time has a city quality and a town that embraces religion and no town could fit that quality better than Charleston, SC...the Holy City or also known as Chucktown.

The writing style of the book is influenced by a number of authors notably the likes of Oscar Wilde, Stephanie Meyer, Sophie Kinsella, Patrick Suskind and Nicholas Sparks. I don't know about the other authors, but my writing style here is also influenced by songs from artists like Missy Higgins and Kate Voegele. So it is a mixture of a lot of styles thus it is something that anybody can read and get attached to.

A lot of themes are discussed in this book, but the most outstanding is the inevitable tragedy. The book itself is tragic from the loss of his brother to the loss of both parents in his final year in high school to losing himself as he tries to find himself after the loss of the family, then later in life when everything should be fine...he loses the love of his life. Another theme is the immortality of faith. Despite everything that happens to the protagonist, when everybody would expect him to give up, he still finds his reason for living and expecting that one day everything will be alright. Other stuff highlighted include, society oppression, love and drugs.Basically everything you encounter in life and everything you encounter in your imagination as an escape, is encountered in this book.

So this is my first book, The Diary: Chronicles of Neill that will later be followed by The Diary: Scarlet's Chronicles. I'll be posting more bits of the book here with time as we unfold the chronicles of Neill Kynberg.I am going to end this post with one of my favorite quotes from the book.

"You see Neill, sometimes you have to withdraw yourself from the battlefield; not because you are weak or giving up but to have a better view at what you are fighting. Then, just then, your heart will tell you what to do. That's how I ended up with man of my dreams." Motherly advice from Leila Kynberg to Neill, when torn up between two girls.

©g!o.inked

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:

Free Blog Templates